What is tartar sauce?
Tartar sauce is a condiment that was originally believe to be created in the east of France (though similar versions of the sauce can be found in other cultures and regions throughout history). The French however created their version with a base of mayonnaise to which various rough chopped herbs and spices were added to. This tart, rich, thick white condiment is typically used to accompany dishes such as fried fish, oysters, clams, etc.as the herbaceous and acidic flavor profile pairs well with most seafood.
Fun fact: Tartar sauce has nothing to do with cream or tartar.
Here’s why you’ll love this recipe:
- This version is a lighter version to the typical tartar sauce in that it uses a Greek yogurt base vs a mayonnaise base.
- This recipe is clean eating, gluten-free, keto-friendly, and vegetarian-friendly.
- It takes just 5 minutes to make and can be used right away.
- It can be used as a dipping sauce or a sandwich spread.
- You can build flavors upon it by adding herbs and spices of your choosing to customize your sauce.
To make this sauce you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Greek Yogurt: Opt to use a whole milk Greek Yogurt.
- Fresh Dill: The dill adds a lovely grassy-earthy-anise flavor.
- Homemade Pickles and Pickle Brine: this adds in a great acid and tartness that works well to complement the sauce’s other flavors.
- Salt: I’m using a pink Himalayan salt but you can also use a sea salt.
- Pepper: Fresh cracked or pre-ground can be used and the amount can be adjusted to suit your personal preference.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice is always best.
No Greek Yogurt?
Substitute with equal parts of sour cream or homemade mayonnaise.
Swap the Greek Yogurt with homemade mayonnaise for a dairy-free option.
What other flavors can I add in?
Aside from the above listed, you can add in anything from olives to capers to parsley, crushed fennel seeds, coriander, tarragon, celery seeds, stone ground mustard, Worcestershire sauce, finely diced onions, finely minced garlic, etc.
Here’s how easy it is to make this sauce:
Simply add all ingredients into a bowl and stir to fully mix it all together. That’s it!
I personally love pairing it with these Crunchy Lemon Pepper Fish Fillets and either:
- combining it with some lettuce, 1-Hour Dinner Rolls and Homemade Pickles to make a phenomenal fish sandwich OR
- pairing it with some finely shredded red or green cabbage and carrots along with my Homemade Corn Tortillas to make an out-of-this-world fish taco dinner!
What do you like to enjoy your tartar sauce with? Let us know in the comments below 🥰
Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce
- In a bowl combine the salt, black pepper, lemon juice, fresh dill, and diced homemade pickles and brine to the sour cream and mix well.
- Serve immediately. Store any leftover in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for up to a week.