Do you happen to have a banana that’s getting a bit too brown or a carton of strawberries that are starting to look a little soggy? Then this is the perfect treat for you!
This milkshake is so easy to make and it’s healthy for you too! Made using a base of fruit (so arguably a smoothie?) you’re going to enjoy this one time and time again especially on those hot summer days.
Even better, it’s honestly healthy enough to serve as both a dessert AND a breakfast option for those of you who enjoy having an early morning shake!
💕Here’s why you’re going to love this recipe:
- This shake requires only 6 ingredients
- And takes only 10 minutes to make (if using pre-frozen fruit)
- Each shake contains 1.5 servings of fruit
- It is thick and rich with the consistency of ice cream thanks to the frozen fruit base
- You can substitute for any preferred milk of your choosing to make this recipe vegan-friendly
- This is a great way to make use of any extra fruit in your fridge.
Six ingredients are all you need for this delectable milkshake:
- Frozen bananas: cut into chunks
- Frozen strawberries: cut into chunks
- Whole Milk.
- Cocoa powder: Use a good quality of cocoa powder for the best results and flavor.
- Vanilla extract.
- Raw cane sugar: Finely blended so it dissolves easier without being gritty.
In the above image I’ve organized the ingredients into columns according to what each layer will contain (note that the sugar is used for all three layers).
- Chocolate: Frozen bananas, milk, cocoa powder and sugar.
- “Vanilla“: Frozen bananas, milk, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Strawberry: Frozen strawberries, milk, a touch of vanilla, and sugar.
For a dairy free variation use any clean-eating milk substitute of your choosing such as any nut milk or even coconut milk (though note that the coconut milk will alter the flavor of the shake).
Here’s how to make and assemble your shake:
Start by making your chocolate layer. Into your blender cup add half a frozen banana, milk, cocoa powder and sugar and blend it together. Pour/scrape it into your mug or glass as the first layer and set said glass into the freezer to set while we make the next layer.
After a quick rinse and dry of our blender cup we’ll make our “vanilla” layer. Add in the other half of frozen banana, milk, vanilla extract and sugar. Blend it until smooth and carefully pour it over the chocolate layer and set your glass back into the freezer to chill.
For our final layer of strawberry, we’ll once more rinse and quick dry our blender cup before adding in our frozen strawberries, milk, sugar and a touch of vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and then carefully pour your frozen strawberry mixture over your “vanilla” layer and set it back in the freezer to set for a few minutes. (Usually I use that time to clean up and put my ingredients away).
The very last thing to do is enjoy your perfectly layered fruity Neapolitan milkshake! 🍨
Did you try this recipe out? If you did, don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below to let us know your thoughts! Also, I’m curious, what order do you like your Neapolitan to be in? Do you think the order matters? 🤔
6-Ingredient Neapolitan Milkshake
- Make the chocolate layer: Add half of your sliced frozen banana, 2 tsp of finely blended sugar, 2 tbsp of whole milk and 1 tsp of cocoa powder into the cup of a high-powered blender and process until smooth. Pour your mixture into a tall glass and set in the freezer. Rinse and dry your blender cup.
- Make the "vanilla" layer: Add the other half of your sliced frozen banana, 1 tsp of finely blended sugar, 2 tbsp of whole milk, and ¾ tsp of vanilla extract into the cup of a high-powered blender and process until smooth. Slowly pour your mixture over the chocolate layer and set in the freezer. Rinse and dry your blender cup.
- Make the strawberry layer: Add your frozen strawberries, 1 tsp of finely blended sugar, 2 tbsp of whole milk, and ¼ tsp of vanilla into the cup of a high-powered blender and process until smooth. Slowly pour your mixture over the "vanilla" layer and set in the freezer for a few minutes to set.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Use fresh fruit that is very ripe for the best flavor and sweetness.
- Set your glass in the freezer to chill after each layer to help your layers to set so that your additional layers don't merge together.
- You can adjust the sweetness levels to suit your personal taste, similarly, feel free to experiment with the order of the layers.
- While you can do the flavors individually, another method is to blend together all the ingredients for the chocolate and "vanilla" layers, except the cocoa powder. Once blended, pour half of your mixture into your glass (this will be your "vanilla" layer) then add the cocoa powder to the half still in your blender cup and blend it together to create your chocolate layer. Rinse your blender cup out and make your strawberry layer as above.