Summery Strawberry Salad - With A Lemon Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
Summer-time salads are a great way to bring a bright pop of fun and whimsy to your table, and the inclusion of fruit is going to be an element of surprise that will end up being the star!
For Salad: (see notes for substitutions)
- 10 oz mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and chopped
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella blotted dry and cut into cubes
- 6 oz fresh strawberries sliced
Lemon-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette:
Combine all ingredients for the vinaigrette in a jar and either cover it tightly and shake vigorously, or, if you have an immersion/stick blender, then use it to emulsify your dressing for about 30 seconds.
In a large bowl, add in a base layer of salad greens, top evenly with sliced strawberries, toasted and chopped pecans, and diced mozzarella.
Drizzle as much of your vinaigrette as you'd like over your salad or if preferred you can toss your salad before serving.Optional: top your salad with more poppy seeds or coarsely ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy immediately. Unused vinaigrette can be stored in an airtight glass jar in the fridge for up to a month.
Here are some great swaps you can make for the main ingredients depending on what you enjoy or have on hand.
- Greens: You can use any of your favorite salad greens including lettuce, spring mix, mesclun, kale, arugula, spinach etc.
- Cheese: If you don't have fresh mozzarella you can use regular block mozzarella, feta, haloumi, paneer, goat cheese, gouda or even harder cheese like shavings of parmesan or pecorino Romano.
- Fruit: While strawberries really are the best option, you can also use kiwis, dark cherries, raspberries, clementine segments, diced apples or even dried fruit like dried cranberries. Any fruit that gives you a sweet/tart balance can work.
- Toasted Nuts: walnuts, sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, pine nuts.
Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 680mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1202IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 325mg | Iron: 1mg