Perfect Movie-Night Popcorn
Homemade and far healthier than premade or store bought versions, a bowl of popcorn is an absolute must-have for your stay-at-home movie night!
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels makes approx 6-7 cups once popped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil solid
To season: 1-2 tbsp melted ghee (clarified butter) OR regular butter & finely ground salt (to taste).
Set a deep, heavy bottom pot on med-high heat.
Add the coconut oil, and once melted, add in 2 kernels of corn, when they've popped, lower your heat to medium, add in the rest of the kernels, and gently shake or stir to cover them in the oil.
Once the kernels are sizzling, cover your pot with a lid that's set at a slight angle to allow steam to escape but not wide enough to cause the kernels to escape the pot. Once popping slows to 1-2 per second, remove the pot from the heat and remove the lid. Serve plain or butter and salt to suit your taste.
To Butter your Popcorn: Pour your popcorn into a bowl and lightly drizzle or drip some of your melted ghee (clarified butter) over the popcorn (letting it drip off the tines of a fork is a great way to distribute the butter) before tossing and drizzling more. Sprinkle with finely blended salt and toss once more, taste and adjust. Enjoy!
- The amount of popped popcorn you get depends on the kernel and type of corn. For example a mushroom popcorn will produce more in popped volume than a smaller grain white kernel corn will.
- You can pop your popcorn in a mixture of coconut oil and ghee (clarified butter NOT regular butter) to give it more of a movie theater flavor right out of the pot.
- Use a fine grind of salt to allow it to stick to your popcorn better.
- The calculated nutrition does NOT include the seasoning of ghee/butter and salt.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 56mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Iron: 1mg