The Easiest Pan-Seared Chicken
Simple and delicious, this chicken recipe uses just four ingredients that will wow you. Well-seasoned, juicy, and with a beautifully developed crust for maximum flavor, chicken is definitely on the menu tonight!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Resting time5 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx 1lb or 16oz)
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp extra light olive oil (enough oil to coat the bottom of your skillet)
Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breast until it is flat and even on all sides. If using a bone-in cut of chicken, skip this step.
Pat your chicken breast dry using a paper towel and generously season both sides of your flattened chicken breast with salt and pepper
Heat a skillet on med-high heat until almost smoking. Add olive oil and swirl to coat the pan with the oil.
Gently place your chicken down into the pan and allow it to cook untouched for 4-5 minutes until a golden crust develops and the chicken releases from the pan on its own.
Flip and cook the other side for an additional 4-5 minutes. Your chicken should have an internal temp of about 165°F
Once cooked, remove and set aside onto a place loosely tented with foil and allow it to rest for an additional 5 minutes.
Top with herbs of your choice (optional) and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Flattening your chicken ensures an even cook and creates a flat surface for maximum contact with the pan which gives a better sear all around.
- However, if using a bone in breast or thigh, do not pound your chicken.
- Once you set your chicken into the pan do not move it around. If you try to turn your chicken and find that it is stuck to the pan do not tear it free, but leave it to release on it's own.
- To make your chicken even more flavorful and decadent you can add a knob of butter to your hot skillet while your butter is melting, add herbs of your choice (such as fresh thyme, rosemary and garlic) and to the butter and then quickly spoon / baste your seared chicken with the herbed butter. Remove your chicken from the pan to a plate and pour the butter and place the basted herbs over the top of the chicken. Tent, rest and serve.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 713mg | Potassium: 420mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg