Waffles make a great breakfast option, especially when they are freshly made using simple, wholesome ingredients. These gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly waffles take little to no time to whip up and are perfect for even the busiest of mornings. As a bonus, they can also be made in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer since they toast up beautifully!
Here’s why you’ll love this recipe:
- It can be whipped up in no time! The batter can be made in the time it takes your waffle iron to heat up.
- It uses minimal, clean-eating ingredients.
- It is gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegetarian friendly.
- It can be enjoyed as breakfast or as a dessert!
To make these waffles you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Blanched Almond Flour: Made from blanched almonds that have had their skins removed, an extra fine grind is the best option for this recipe. Alternatively you can use unblanched almond flour, also known as almond meal though the texture will be slightly grainier.
- Eggs: Whole eggs make up the main liquid of our waffles.
- Sweetener: You can use either honey or finely blended raw cane sugar. Using honey will make your waffles slightly heavier and softer than using sugar.
- Extracts: You can use either vanilla or maple or both! The flavors both lend to these waffles are phenomenal. Be sure to use a variety that is natural made.
- Baking Powder: This is our rising agent that will give our waffles a wonderful fluff.
- Cornstarch: Adding a touch of cornstarch will allow the waffles to crisp up and be very light. You can omit this if preferred.
- Salt: A small touch of salt goes a long way in adding flavor and in amplifying the flavors of everything added to our waffles.
- Spices: Though optional, a waffle with hints of warming spice is wonderful. In today’s recipe I’m using a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Here’s how easy these waffles are to make:
The batter comes together in a under a minute flat and is as simple as combining everything into one!
Pour your batter onto the preheated waffle maker and close the lid.
In 2-3 minutes your waffles are done!
Honestly these waffles are a delicious treat that can be whipped up in little to no time and is sure to satisfy. Top them with freshly made Coconut Whipped Cream, fresh fruit, nuts, honey, maple syrup, or even a drizzle of melted dark chocolate, or some of this Salted Butterscotch Sauce or even my Homemade Nutella. 😍
The Best Gluten-free Waffles
- Preheat your waffle iron to 400°F.
- Into a large bowl add your eggs, honey (or sugar), vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk together.
- Next, add in your almond flour, baking powder and cornstarch and mix well to fully incorporate everything together.
- Scoop the batter into your preheated waffle iron and close the lid. (I recommend not overfilling the iron.)
- Allow the waffles to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- The use of cornstarch is what helps these waffles to crisp up, if you opt to omit the cornstarch, note that these waffles will be on the softer side, though they will be just as tasty!
- You can use natural, unblanched almond flour (also known as almond meal) but the texture will be slightly grainier.
- Wrap any extras in paper towels and store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the fridge. Use within 3 days.
- To freeze, layer them between parchment paper and store in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to one month.