I love having a little roll of garlic herb butter on hand. It not only makes life easy and saves me time, but it’s a wonderful way to infuse amazing flavor into your food. From finishing steaks or chicken or a gloriously fluffy baked potato to simply adding a dime-sized bit to your steamed vegetables, it’s an easy “cheat” to taking your meal to the next level.
Known as a compound butter (which simply means that it’s a butter with one or more things added in to flavor it) it is very popular in French cooking and can range in flavor from savory to sweet to spicy and everything in between.
💕 Here’s Why You’ll Love This Herbed Butter Roll:
- It’s clean eating, gluten free, keto-friendly and lacto-vegetarian friendly.
- It uses simple, wholesome ingredients.
- It takes 5-minutes to make.
- It can use used to amplify and add flavor to most savory dishes from pastas to meats.
- It can be used either in dishes or as a finish.
- It’s a simple addition to take your dishes to the next level.
So without futher ado, let’s get to it, of if you like, you can skip ahead to the recipe card and view the super short video showing you how to make your own roll of herbed butter.
To Make Our Butter, We’ll Need the Following Ingredients:
- Butter: You can use either salted or unsalted, but many cooks prefer to opt for unsalted so they can fully control the salt levels in their dish. This recipe doesn’t add in any salt so depending on your application you can choose what works best. Be sure your butter is softened to room temperature but not melted to a liquid. We don’t want any separation and using a softened butter makes it both easy to work with in terms of incorporating our add-ins as well as forming our roll.
- Garlic: One large clove of freshly minced garlic is enough for the recipe but this can be adjusted to suit your preference. I really don’t recommend using garlic powder here as it will affect the taste and texture of your butter. Opt for fresh.
- Herbs and spices: this is entirely up to you to be honest. Use your favorite combination of herbs and opt for fresh over dry if you can. For this recipe I’m using fresh basil, fine thyme, oregano, cilantro, chives and black pepper. Other options can include other herbs such as rosemary, parsley, dill, sage, tarragon, paprika, or even things like chipotle powder or curry powder.
Here’s How to Make This Easy, Herbed Butter:
To make your butter simply add all ingredients into a bowl…
And thoroughly mix them together. This is where the softened, room temperature butter is necessary both for this step and the next.
Place your incorporated butter onto a clean sheet of parchment or plastic
And roll it and shape it into a log. Then tie or fold the ends to secure it.
Place your log into the fridge so it can set and firm up.
Once set, you can use it however you’d like to.
I personally love to use a dime-sized cut as a finish for my Perfectly Seared Steak or on my Pan-Seared Chicken. Seriously, guys, doesn’t that just look divine? Or you can add it to your Mashed Potatoes (or this easy Cauliflower Mash), or even to your Skillet Charred Green Beans! Really you can use it in almost any of your savory dishes that is complemented by the addictively velvety taste and mouthfeel of butter.
Easy Homemade Herb Butter
- Place your softened butter into a bowl along with the herbs and spices.
- Mix well until all herbs and spices are well incorporated.
- Spoon the butter onto a clean piece of plastic wrap, or parchment paper, or even wax paper, and shape and roll your butter into a log.
- Fold or tie the ends and place your butter log into the fridge to chill and set.
- Use as desired. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for anywhere between 6-9 months.