Honestly, nothing is easier than a tray bake. They make the perfect weeknight meal solution or busy on-the-go weekend dish. Chop, season, bake, eat. It can’t get simpler than that and this chicken fajita tray bake is no exception. Clean eat, gluten free, and keto-friendly, this dish is a perfect meal option on any given day.
Made using pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breast, multi-colored bell peppers, sliced onions and seasoned with light olive oil, lemon juice, and various herbs and spices (feel free to use the ones you like best!) such as salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes and/or chipotle powder if you enjoy some heat, this tray bake comes together in about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Simply combine all the ingredients together onto a sheet pan, ensure that they are evenly dispersed and that none of the chicken pieces are overlapping or clumped together (to ensure even and thorough cooking) and bake until done. You can turn the ingredients half-way through but it’s not even necessary.
Fresh out of the oven, check that your chicken pieces are fully cooked and garnish with bits of red onion, cilantro, and lime wedges. Serve these burrito bowl style with brown rice or Perfectly Fluffy Quinoa or with these Soft Whole Wheat Tortillas (pictured above) and top with your favorite toppings from freshly shredded cheese to sour cream.
That’s it. It really is that simple! From your kitchen to ours, we hope you enjoy these delicious and clean eat chicken fajitas!
Chicken Fajitas (Easy Tray Bake/Sheet Pan)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 3 bell peppers (sliced)
- 1 med yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Powder (optional)
To top: fresh cilantro, diced red onion, lime wedges
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Dice the chicken into 1" cubes or 2" strips (the smaller/thinner they are the faster they will cook) and place onto a baking sheet along with the sliced onions and bell peppers.
- Coat the onions, peppers and chicken with the oil, lemon juice, and spices, tossing to ensure an even coating.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, diced red onions, and lime wedges. Serve immediately and store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- You can use any color bell pepper of your choosing. Multicolored peppers make no difference in terms of taste, they simply add a brighter pop of color to the dish.
- You can turn the chicken and onions and peppers halfway through the bake time but it's not necessary.
- The smaller you cut the chicken the faster it will cook so it is recommended to check on it after 10-12 minutes to gauge how much longer cook time may be needed.
- Feel free to use whatever spices you like and adjust their levels to suit your personal taste.